Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Bursting Unprepared Into Spring - Patagonia Perspectives

No.1 Article of A Map Of Pennsylvania

I just returned from a amazing trip hiking in the mountains of Patagonia, Chile. This was my first experience of being so far below the equator. We got lost briefly one day, when we orientated our map according to the sun, not realizing the sun was due south not north at midday. The sun dials in South America have the hours in reverse because the sun moves counter clockwise during the day! Later it was also explained to me that the moon I was finding at was upside down to the way I ordinarily see it in Pennsylvania! That totally boggled my mind. It was quite humbling to realize that even the planets' position in the universe is only a matter of one's perspective.

Then advent home, I had the disconcerting experience of stepping onto the plane in fall with the trees turning to gold and red and disembarking into a full blown, cherry blossoming spring. I felt fully unprepared for the outward explosion of power and totally overwhelmed by the number of indoor and outdoor spring cleaning that lied before me. I realized that I was physically experiencing the "Spin Cycle," perhaps our culture's most favorite and misdirected advent to change.

A Map Of Pennsylvania

In her book, The Seasons of Change: Using Nature's Wisdom to Grow through Life's certain Ups and Downs, Carol McClelland PhD provides a transition module based on nature's example. In short, a plane journey through life's changes mirrors the cycle of the seasons.

Bursting Unprepared Into Spring - Patagonia Perspectives

- Fall is the time to answer that turn is approaching, get support, and originate a refuge.

- Winter is the time to retreat, reflect, and reconnect with our authentic selves.

- Late winter is the time to rewrite our story, clear out the old, and originate a plan for the future.

- Spring is the season to get to work and birth the new.

- And summer is the time to allow the ripening of our labors and celebrate our harvest.

The "Spin Cycle" occurs when we skip winter fully and jump right from fall into spring. In contemporary community we are unbelievable to all the time be at the top of our efficient and creative game. Often with a turn of career, we feel necessity demands that we immediately jump into a new job. After an illness, its time to get right back to taking care of our responsibilities, too much time has been lost. There is no time to wallow in grief and loss; we need to just carry on. Or after ending one relationship, we eagerly find a new partner to fill the emotional and communal gap. The problem is that the Spin Cycle just endlessly repeats itself. The new job or connection is just as unfullfilling as the last. The basic grief persists because it was never given time to process. Illness reoccurs because the body wasn't allowed to recuperate. By jumping from the old immediately into the new, without allowing time for centering and renewal, we just spin in an endlessly habitual pattern. We never get to experience the success of summer and instead permanently find ourselves right back where we started.

The wintering process is typically ignored in our culture, but ironically, it is crucial to sharp the very productivity and creativity we so value. Without the renewal process of winter, we can never experience the rich harvest of summer. As a Life Coach supporting citizen in transition, it is often my job to help them originate and honor the time and space principal for reflection and renewal.

It was fascinating, traveling from the southern to northern hemisphere, to of course experience the seasonal jump of the Spin Cycle. Once I identified my distress at flying from fall right into spring, I realized that I just needed a little wintering. So before I rushed back to life as usual, I took time to journal about my trip, catch up on some much needed rest from the long journey, and share my experiences with close friends. Because I was aware of the Seasons of turn and was familiar with the benefits of wintering, I could sense what was out of balance and of course remedy it. Returning from a glorious vacation is not a major life transition that requires deep medical and processing. So after just two days of quality wintering, I was ready to step out the door, fully embrace the glorious spring, and enjoy getting down and dirty in my garden.

Understanding the Seasons of turn enables one to process with awareness whatever life throws at you. It honors where one presently stands, and centers the self before taking the next step. Nature knows the way, and we need only to search for and learn from its wisdom.

Copyright (c) 2008 Karin Marcus

sources tell me Bursting Unprepared Into Spring - Patagonia Perspectives



No comments:

Post a Comment