Thursday, August 2, 2012

Book report - 50 uncomplicated Things You Can Do to Raise a Child Who Loves Math

--Maps Of Pennsylvania of Book report - 50 uncomplicated Things You Can Do to Raise a Child Who Loves Math--

continue reading this Book report - 50 uncomplicated Things You Can Do to Raise a Child Who Loves Math

This was a great, albeit quick, read. I for real enjoy books with suggestions for math games and integrating them into real life. Although none of my kids hate math, I like to find ways to make it a part of their day, and I appreciated the assorted suggestions this book made. I also thought that the author's idea of breaking the book into assorted sections, along with one for real explaining to defunct parents how to handle things like word problems, algebra, geometry, etc would be very helpful. (It for real made me feel best to withhold most of the information, Lol!)

Book report - 50 uncomplicated Things You Can Do to Raise a Child Who Loves Math

I ended the book last night, and this morning put one of the suggestions to use on our upcoming vacation. Although I had already been planning to have the kids help me map out our destination, I took it a step further and had my seven year old "measure" (using both string and a ruler) the length from Pennsylvania to Disneyworld, and then try to determine either it was shorter to bypass Atlanta and the trip to Grandmommy's house. (Luckily, the two came out about the same! Of course, we would have stopped anyway...maybe...) Tomorrow, we'll take it a step further and determine that if we voyage 50 or 75 mph, how long will each leg of the trip take us? I am hoping that this will help remedy part of the problems with traveling, as well. Of course, the best part was that my 7 year old had been struggling a microscopic with adding three and four digit numbers - or some three and four digit numbers - and carrying, but she performed brilliantly when math was in action!

We also found a fun card game, "My Ship is Sailing," that I have never heard of before but that my 3, 5, and 7 year old all enjoyed playing.

Anyway, this short brag on my (brilliant!) children was primarily to show how well math can be integrated into our daily lives. This book is sure to spark off assorted creative ideas in your minds, as well, especially since it take the time to give assorted age-appropriate suggestions throughout the text.

The book was plainly and clearly written, and things such as communitive and associative properties are spelled out. The point was made that, while a child's geometric proof may take longer than the "fastest" response the educator determines, we should remember that seeing the clarification is the goal most of the time, not being the fastest or shortest (although there are times for both). In short, I for real enjoyed this book and suggest it to parents whose children are struggling in math - and those whose children are not!

share the Facebook Twitter Like Tweet. Can you share Book report - 50 uncomplicated Things You Can Do to Raise a Child Who Loves Math.


No comments:

Post a Comment